Join the team
Flute Tutor (NOFA Summer Course)
We are looking for a flute tutor to join our Orchestral Tutor team for the 2017 National Orchestra for All Summer Course, held in Leeds from 29 July - 1 August 2017.
The Summer Course is four days of intensive rehearsals leading up to a spectacular concert at Leeds Arena on 1 August to an audience of around 3000. The National Orchestra for All is made up of 11-18 year olds from across the UK, nominated by their music teachers for their dedication and commitment to music. Our members come from a wide range of backgrounds, many facing socio-economic or physical barriers to making music. We pride ourselves on our strong Orchestral Tutor Team who help make sure every member of the orchestra feels safe and secure during the course, as many have never been away from home before.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working with young people, preferably in a similar residential course setting or as a member of the teaching profession. You will be able to enforce our strict code of conduct throughout the Summer Course and ensure that every member of the orchestra receives a very high level of care.
We are looking for a flute tutor to join the woodwind team
How to apply: Please submit a one-page cover letter and CV to Stuart Burns by Sunday 25 June. Interviews will take place in the final week of June.
Dates: 9 July (full day training session in London); 29 July – 1 August (four full days in Leeds) – you must be able to attend both the training session and the four days of the course
Pay: £125 / day (one day for training session in London, four full days in Leeds); accommodation, travel and subsistence costs covered during the Summer Course.
- Supporting Artistic Director Marianna Hay plan and lead rehearsals, including leading own sectional rehearsals throughout the course
- Performing as part of the orchestra during end of course concert on 1 August
- Providing general support and encouragement to the members throughout the course
- Supporting Pastoral Staff Team by accompanying NOFA members travel to Leeds
- Supporting NOFA members throughout four days of rehearsals, ensuring Volunteers and Young Volunteers are providing support where necessary during rehearsals
All NOFA staff are required to be flexible and positive about taking on additional tasks as and when is needed throughout the course. The Summer Course is very intensive and some of the NOFA players will have never stayed away from home alone before. There will be breaks scheduled throughout each day for all staff.
Questions? Please contact the Head of Programmes and Operations, Stuart Burns at email@example.com or on 0207 267 4141.
Full job description (PDF)
We rely on a team of enthusiastic volunteers to run every Orchestras for All event. Upcoming events include:
- Modulo Programme National Meets 2017: one day workshop days at Cecil Sharp House in Camden on Monday 11 July and Tuesday 12 July 2017, where all our participating schools and community groups will join together to form orchestras for the day - working towards a performance of an arrangement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
Volunteers are invited to join us for any or all of the events during the season and are welcome to support in a number of ways:
- Support young musicians to learn repertoire during full and sectional rehearsals
- Support young musicians during improvisation and composition sessions during the Regional and National Modulo Meets
- Support young musicians during performances
We are also happy to involve volunteers in the behind-the-scenes work of the organisation, including pre-event planning, event delivery, impact and evaluation or general arts administration work including fundraising, marketing and PR.
If you are interested in being involved with OFA as a member of the events volunteers team for future events, please contact Head of Programmes and Operations, Stuart Burns.